National Bookstart Week 2018
Libraries across Cheshire West and Chester will be celebrating National Bookstart Week from 4 June, with range of exciting events to encourage families to have fun reading together, anywhere and anytime. National Bookstart Week is an annual celebration of the charity BookTrust’s flagship reading programme, Bookstart.
The theme of this year’s National Bookstart Week (4 to 10 June) is ‘Bookstart Bird Boogie’. Children who attend any of the events will receive a free copy of the picture book A Busy Day for Birds by Lucy Cousins.
From Monday 4 June there will be free fun events around the borough for babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers and their families, at libraries, children centres, nurseries and bookshops. Events will include stories, rhymes and lots of playful outdoors activities to inspire families to read together.
Diana Gerald, Chief Executive of BookTrust said: “We are delighted so many children will receive a copy of A Busy Day for Birds to help celebrate National Bookstart Week. This year’s book is a fun, playful story that is perfect to share with all the family.”
Families should visit their nearest library or children’s centre to find out more about their local National Bookstart Week event. If families are unable to make it along to their local event they can join in the fun at home, with plenty of arts and crafts and games, all on the Bookstart website.
Across Cheshire West and Chester events include:
Monday 4 June 10.30am to 12pm - Northwich Library at Grozone Community Garden
Join Bookstart Bear at the community garden for rhymes and stories, join in with the' Bird Boogie'.
Tuesday 5 June, 10.30am - Helsby Library
Bookstart Bear event. Visit from several preschools, meet Bookstart Bear, with rhymetime and crafts.
Tuesday 5 June, 1pm to 3pm - Ellesmere Port Library at Whitby Park
Celebrate National Bookstart Week with stories, rhymes, games and crafts. Fun in the park with Ellesmere Port Library and Stanlaw Abbey Children’s Centre.
Thursday 7 June, 10.30am to12pm - Winsford Town Park
Stories, rhymes and a Bird Boogie in the park (if raining in Winsford library) Enjoy the newly designed park with stories, rhymes and a bird hunt.
Friday 8 June, 11am to 1pm - Westminster Park
Bookstart party in the park (if raining in Lache Library) Plus activities and rhymes with Children's centres.
Toy sleepover events
In a first for Cheshire West and Chester libraries, there will also be “toy sleepovers” at several branches. Children are invited to bring in a teddy bear or other cuddly toy. The toy will then stay overnight at the library. The staff will stage photographs of the toy reading with other toys and getting up to various activities. When the children come to collect the toy, they’ll be presented with photos of what toy got up to during the stay, a certificate and a recommendation of a book that the toy enjoyed reading during their stay. Sleepovers are at Barnton, Frodsham, Great Boughton, Neston, Sandiway, Wharton and Winsford. Ask at the relevant branch for more details.
Rhymetimes and crafts
- Monday 4 June. Crafty Little Owls, 2.15 to 3pm, Great Boughton Library. “Help your owlets make an owl mask. Also a story and songs to twit twoo to.”
- Tuesday 5 June: 11am to 11.30am. “Bookstart Bird Boogie Storytime and Crafts” - stories and songs with a bird theme, followed by an interactive craft to take home
- Wednesday 6 June. BookStart storytime, Great Boughton Library, 2.30 to 3pm. Stories and songs with a bird theme.
- Thursday 7 June. BookStart Rhymetime, 2.30 to 3pm, Barnton Library. Movement and rhymes for your busy bird.
- Thursday 7 June: 10.30am to 11am, 11.30am to 12 noon. “Bookstart Baby Birds Boogie” –songs with a bird theme followed by a parent and baby friendly craft to take home.
- Thursday 14 June. BookStart Bear Rhymetime, 10am, Little Sutton Library
- Friday 15 June. BookStart Bear Rhymetime, 10am, Hope Farm Library