Christmas outdoor lighting and decoration
The following information has been developed to guide you through the process of installing Christmas outdoor lights and decorations in your community. We have outlined the key facts you need to know, deadlines for applications and key contacts.
Before you put your application in for Christmas outdoor lights and decorations you need to consider the following points:
- It is your responsibility to purchase the Christmas outdoor decorations you wish to use
- You must organise for a registered contractor to install the lights or decorations (we can provide advice on local contractors)
- It is your responsibility to apply to your local energy supplier for your MPAN number (Meter Point Administration Number). The number uniquely identifies your electricity supply point that will power your Christmas lights or decorations (please note that you will be billed directly by the electricity supplier for the power you use)
- Lights must be a minimum of 5.8m above road surface (excluding Christmas Tree Lighting applications)
- Over pedestrian areas lighting must be 2.5m over head height (for pedestrian areas where emergency services require access minimum height must be 5.8m above road surface)
- A structural test will need to be completed to assess wall/anchor point fittings or column/pole strength for all new installations and any decorations installed for over five years
- You will need to consult with local resident and business groups where the lights or decorations will be located – consent in writing must be obtained for decorations fitted to private property
For full details of guidance notes in relation to specific Christmas outdoor lights and decorations applications please select the relevant document below:
Please contact the lighting team as soon as possible to discuss your requirements. If your plans for Christmas lighting or decorations are the same as those submitted in previous years please email email@example.com
to confirm that no details have changed, and include your MPAN number.
Step 1 – Request a site visit
A street lighting engineer will meet with you to inspect the location where you want to install the lights or decorations. They will be able to provide advice on the type of lighting you will be able to install and the information that you need to obtain from your contractor.
Step 2 – Submit an application for permission to install electrical apparatus on or over the adopted highway or attachments to highway street furniture
Once a street lighting engineer has agreed that it is possible to display the festive lighting in the location requested please complete:
Step 3 – Contractor to submit festive lighting design for approval to install from the local Highway Authority
Step 4 – Final inspection from the Highway Authority for approval to light installed decorations
Final inspection from the Highway Authority for approval to energise installed decorations is required one week prior to the proposed switch on date. Please note there will also be further weekly maintenance checks of all festive lighting.
For help and advice on festive lighting please contact the lighting team on 0300 123 7036 or email: Christmaslights@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk
- 31 July 2015 - request a site visit
One week prior to proposed switch on date - final inspection from the Highway Authority for approval to energise installed decorations.