Temoporary prohibition of traffic
Notice is hereby given pursuant to the provisions of Section 14 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 that the Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council intend to make an Order the effect of which will be to temporarily prohibit/restrict traffic on the following length of road in Upper Northgate Street / Delamere St /Canal Street /George Street, Chester to enable Highway & Junction Improvement Works. Road Closures will NOT be permanent throughout the full duration but various closures and/or traffic management in place only as and when necessary required – except for a full 12 week closure of the existing car parking area off Delamere St corner adjacent to the old closed down Northgate Arms public house. Works are to be carried out by Cheshire West and Chester Council - Highways
Affected roads: Upper Northgate Street, Delamere Street, Canal Street, George Street - Chester - Closures will only be set up when necessary. These will be various sections of road closed at different times throughout the duration of the works. Specific locations and dates/durations will be informed of prior to being implemented.
Nothing in the Order shall prevent driving upon the said lengths of road of any vehicle which is being used for the conveyance of persons goods or merchandise to or from any premises situate on or adjacent to the lengths of road or in connection with agriculture building construction works of repair and the like or use in an emergency of vehicles for fire brigade ambulance or police purposes. A through route will not always be available and any vehicles not requiring access to properties on the length of road should use the alternative routes.
Also, Upper Northgate Street Bus Lane - to temporarily amend the bus lane order to allow all traffic to use. This will be set in place during George Street and/or Delamere Street Closures.
The Order will come into force on 12 June 2017 and will continue in force for a period not exceeding eighteen months or until the works which it is proposed to carry out have been completed whichever is the earlier. It is anticipated that the works will take approximately twelve weeks to complete.
Sunday 17 to Sunday 24 September – Road Closures for carriageway resurfacing works:
Road Closures between the 17 to the 24 September
- Sunday 17 September – Works begin on the removal of the old carriageway surface. From 4pm road closures to Delamere Street and Upper Northgate Street. The closure will be in place for approximately three to four hours. Following on from Delamere Street and when it is reopened, the closure area shall switch to the junction of George Street/Canal Street/Upper Northgate Street where the junction will be fully closed to traffic. Road Closure points will be:- George Street – from Victoria Road junction, Canal Street – from Garden Lane junction, Upper Northgate Street – from Water Tower Street
- Monday 18 September to Saturday 23 September – Removal of the old surface and replacing with new carriageway resurfacing including the raised junction table. Delamere Street to remain open and the George Street/Canal Street/Upper Northgate Street junction will continue to remain fully closed to traffic.
- Sunday 24 September - The main Upper Northgate St junction to be reopened to traffic and Delamere Street to be closed from 4pm until 6am on Monday 25 September, in order to apply the final surface course in this location.
- Week beginning Monday 25 September – 30 September - Roads all open. Minor works to complete the scheme to be undertaken.
Diversions (also refer to plans attached):
Access will be maintained for Emergency Services. We would request that any vehicle access in the area is kept to a minimum and that where possible, deliveries be rescheduled. Pedestrian access shall be maintained at all times.
- When Delamere Street is closed (Sunday 17 and Sunday 24 only), traffic shall be diverted: For Frodsham Street - off the inner Ring Road through the new Bus Station access onto Gorse Stacks and into Frodsham Street/Chester City.
- For necessity of ‘Access Only’ to Victoria Road, Delamere Street (residents and car parks) and St. Anne Street residents – access via the inner Ring Road into the new Bus Station access onto Gorse Stacks. Thereon, access only will be available along George Street upto its junction with Victoria Road. Victoria Road/Delamere St will temporarily be trafficked two way in order to provide access in and out of this area. A gateman will allow those who require access. Note: No through route will be available through George Street vehicles will exit back via Gorse Stacks only.
- George Street/Upper Northgate St/Canal Street Junction Closure, No access through the junction for 1 week from Sunday 17 Sept until Saturday evening of 23 September:-
- Access into the City Centre – via Fountains Roundabout along the inner Ring road to Princess Street and through to Hunter Street.
- For deliveries to businesses – please note that a slot between 7am to 10am will be made available. Access will be via Princess St/Hunter St, upto Northgate St heading towards the City Walls direction (opposite to normal traffic flow) and exit via Upper Northgate Street to the Fountains Roundabout. Any access outside of these hours will not be available.
- Access to Canal Street – from Fountains Roundabout via A540 Parkgate Road, Cheyney Road and Garden Lane/Raymond Street and vice versa.
Access to properties and for emergency vehicles will be maintained.
Traffic should proceed via: When George Street only is closed - Vehicles requiring 'Access Only' into Chester City Centre via Northgate Street will be able to use the current bus lane.
Alternative routes for through traffic
When Upper Northgate /Delamere Street is closed: Diversion - A540 Pargate Road, Cheyney Road, Garden Lane, Canal Street reverse will be via Canal street, Raymond Street, Garden Lane, Cheyney Road and Parkgate Road
When George Street/Canal Street junction is closed: Diversion - St Martins Way, Princess Street, Northgate Street. Reverse will be via Northgate Street, St. Werburgh Street, Eastgate into St. John Street and either direction on the inner ring road back to the Fountains Roundabout.
Kieran Collins (Ref TRO3217)
Place Operations, Highways Office,
Guilden Sutton Lane, Guilden Sutton,
Chester, Cheshire, CH3 7EX
Telephone: 0300 123 7036
Discuss this article
Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).
The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to email@example.com
The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service. The System Administrators make no guarantee, endorsement and accept no liability, regarding the discussion service above, including, but not limited to, its availability, accuracy, currency, content, quality or lack of objectionable or offensive content.