5 June 2018
Councillor Samantha Dixon, Leader of Cheshire West and Chester Council said: ”As a member of the Transport for the North Partnership Board, I fully support today’s statement from John Cridland, Chairman of Transport for the North about Northern’s rail service.
“The Mid Cheshire line provides essential links between Chester, Northwich, Stockport and Manchester. It is disappointing that passengers have been facing train cancellations combined with unsatisfactory and accurate information for them to plan their business and travel.
“Northern must step up its measures to deliver services that our communities, businesses and visitors expect to enjoy. Along with other members of Transport for the North, I will be paying very close attention to Northern’s performance over the coming days and weeks. ”
John Cridland, Chairman of Transport for the North, said: “We stand firmly with passengers across the North – they expect and deserve better.
“The patience of residents, businesses and visitors in the North has been tested. They have been inconvenienced and disrupted and need a rail service that they can rely on.
“As the voice of the Northern civic and business leaders, we call for Northern to:
“We are deeply disappointed that – two weeks in from the timetable change – we are not yet seeing more improvement. We will scrutinise, challenge and track services over the coming days.
- Ensure any services in total are at least as good as they were before the introduction of the new timetable on 20 May 2018
- Provide clear communication to customers so that they can plan with confidence
- Compensate passengers who have bought advance or season tickets for the next two months, given the reduced level of service
- Reduce the cost of journeys for customers experiencing disruption
- Arrange for their tickets to be accepted on other rail operators and modes of transport, to provide passengers with an alternative route
- Engage businesses and northern leaders on any future changes that may impact passengers
“We, as a group, commit to communities in the North to speak on their behalf and demand a service that is fit for purpose.”
Discuss this article
Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).
The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org
The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service. The System Administrators make no guarantee, endorsement and accept no liability, regarding the discussion service above, including, but not limited to, its availability, accuracy, currency, content, quality or lack of objectionable or offensive content.