Townscape Heritage Project
26 April 201948 and 50 Witton Street, Northwich (Crafty Stitches and One 2 One) are the latest shops to be finished as part of the Townscape Heritage project in Northwich. Following recent refurbishments, paid for in part by a grant provided by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Cheshire West and Chester Council the two shops are now in excellent condition, looking very similar to how they would have looked when they were newly built in 1925, including a hand painted sign for the One 2 One offices.
Both shops were built in 1925, the same time as the neighbouring shop, 46A (now Subway) all three buildings were built by A T Ross. Before then, there were three houses on the site that doubled as shops. These were probably built around the start of the 19th century.
Over time various types of shops operated from the three houses including a wheelwright's workshop, a brazier and ironmonger, and a grocer. From 1921-1924 George Hormbrey, the butcher had his shop here. Hormbrey Butchers are still in Northwich today at 8 Market Way.
The Crafty Stitches shop started as Charltons, the confectioners. The premises have been a wool shop for the last 73 years. West Wools, owned by Mr and Mrs West started in 1946. In 1965, it was run by Mrs Mabel Marsden and called ‘Marsdens’. After that it was the Spinning Wheel for twelve years where Joan Hubbard used to work, she took over the shop in 1998 and renamed it ‘Crafty Stitches’. Joan is now the co-owner of the premises along with her daughter Louise.
Less is known about the shop at 50 Witton Street. At present it is used as offices for One 2 One (Support) Limited.
Lisa Harris, Director of Places Strategy, Cheshire West and Chester Council said: “There are many more shops that have been allocated grants in the Townscape Heritage project and they are looking forward to seeing many more being refurbished in the coming months.”
The Northwich Townscape Heritage Project focuses on funding improvements to some of the unique traditional timber-framed buildings in Witton Street and High Street. The project also promotes the heritage and the history of the buildings to residents, visitors and businesses.